The following information is taken from the Barnsley Council website. You can read the original here (it’s in the section labelled “Do I need to Bring ID?”): 
More info can also be found here:

(All links below will take you to the Electoral Commission website.)

You’ll need to show photo ID to vote at polling stations from 4 May 2023. For more details about what ID is accepted, please visit the Electoral Commission: Accepted forms of photo ID. If:

  • You don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID.
  • You’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you.

You can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. The Electoral Commission: Applying for a Voter Authority Certificate has more details about this.

Apply for a voter Certificate

You must apply for a Voter Authority Certificate by 5pm on Tuesday 25 April if you need one for the local elections on 4 May 2023.

Other ways to apply

You can fill in a paper application form and send this to: Electoral Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG. To request a form please contact the Electoral Services helpline on (01226) 773070.

You may also be able to apply in person by visiting Barnsley Town Hall, Church Street, Barnsley, S70 2TA.

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate contact the Electoral Services helpline on (01226) 773070.

View of Penistone from Barnsley Road