Accessibility statement for the Penistone Town Council website
Penistone Town Council takes accessibility seriously and every effort has been made to ensure everyone can view the information on this site easily and without hinderance.
If you have any queries or would like to report any accessibility issues with the site, please get in touch with us using the details on the main Contact page.
This website is run by Penistone Town Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use (including the above options) if you have a disability (link opens in a new tab; please note that Penistone Town Council is not responsible for content found on other sites).
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible. Technical language is only used when there is no alternative.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- you cannot modify the line height or spacing of text although you can increase the text size by zooming in.
- some older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- PDF documents that are produced from scans of existing documents may not be accessible to screen readers. In most instances OCR (optical character recognition) has been used in an attempt to avoid this but the limits of the technology means that some instances are less successful than others. Please get in touch if you are having issues with any documents.
- the map on the contact page may be limited in functionality because it’s embeded from Google’s website. If you have difficulties, click the Google link at the bottom of the map to visit Google Maps and see the original version. Any restrictions thereafter are the results of Google’s site development.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact us using the info above.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Penistone Town Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the presence of some PDF documents derived from optical scans.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Some PDF documents which are generated from scans might not be accessible by screen readers. These are mostly scans of documents that have been hand-signed by Council officials or members such as declarations of interest.
We believe that doing so now would To rectify this would take an inordinate amount of time and/or be impossible and be a disproportionate burden within the meaning of the accessibility regulations.
We will reassess this over time and look for alternative methods of displaying the information.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on20th September 2020. It was last reviewed on 14th October 2020.
This website was last tested on 13th October. The test was carried out by Penistone Town Council.